Monday, October 4, 2010

Lil’ Glow Worm

Ella:  “Mommy, why is my brother a glow worm?” 

little glow worm

Poor Evan had to “glow” for a few days to help get his bilirubin level down.  When we went for Evan’s first doctor’s appointment, they called us and told us his bilirubin level had increased from 5.8 when we left the hospital to 16.5.  Home health brought  the “bili blanket” to our house and we wrapped our little glow worm up.  He had to wear the blanket around the clock except when we went to the doctor.  We had to go back to the doctor every morning for them to check his level.  We were all exhausted!!  The second morning Cory wasn’t able to go with me so my Mom took us.  We got to the doctor’s office and realized we forgot Evan’s diaper bag!  We didn’t even have a single diaper!!  There was a grocery store right down from the doctor’s office so I thought if we could make it through the visit we could grab some diapers.  Well, right before the Dr came in Evan filled his diaper with poop!  No diapers, no wipes…so I had to go on a search for a diaper.  As I walked outside the exam room, the doctor was coming in and I had to ask him for a diaper.  I was so embarrassed!!  The doctor laughed and said it happens all the time.  To make me feel better, he told me a story about parents that left their kid at the office.  It’s amazing what sleep deprivation can do to you!!! 

The “bili blanket” worked!!  Evan only had to “glow” for 2 and 1/2 days!  He is doing so good and slowly losing his sun tanned skin.  We are so happy our little glow worm is healthy!!!

evan glow worm2

1 comment:

lauravandiford said...

He is a cute little glow worm!