Friday, March 12, 2010

Oh No…I Got A Big Boo-Boo!

ella broken wrist

Cory and I were both off this week and since we finally had a little sunshine we decided to go to the park for a couple hours on Monday.  Ella was so excited about getting to go swing because her swing set was destroyed during a wind storm we had a couple weeks ago and we haven’t had a chance to get it replaced.  Ella loves to swing and has been swinging on a “big girl” swing for some time now.  She has never let go or made us even think she was going to let go!  But today was different…for some unknown reason, she let go as the swing was moving forward and off the front she went.   We both tried to get to her but she was in fast motion and we were in slow motion (or so it felt!).  She ended up landing face down with her right arm underneath her.  She immediately began to SCREAM!!  She grabbed her wrist and told us her arm hurt!  We headed to Urgent Care where they told us Ella had a “buckle” fracture on her radius and ulna.  Ella did SOOO good (much better than me)!  I didn’t get to go with them to do x-rays but Ella told me all about them taking pictures of her bones!  They put Ella’s wrist in temporary removable cast.  Over the next day or so, her fingers began swelling and she complained of pain.  We went to the Orthopedic doctor on Wednesday and he explained to us that Ella’s injury was near her growth plate and involved both bones of the forearm/wrist.  They felt it was best to put Ella’s arm in a long cast (full arm) so that it would be completely immobilized and would allow for extra protection so it would heal correctly!  Ella was very excited about getting a PINK cast (which she calls a “bracelet”).  At her age, her bones are very soft but heal at a rate 10 times faster than adults.  So the good news is, she’ll only have to wear this full arm cast (“bracelet”) for 2 and 1/2 more weeks, then they’ll do more x-rays and decide what is needed from there.  Other than some minor frustrations, Ella has done remarkably well with the cast.  Our furniture, on the other hand, has taken a beating!!  Getting dressed, bath time, and even eating (of course it is the hand that she does everything with!) are challenging but we’ve managed to figure it all out!!  Ella has been going to the potty all by herself for about a week now and the cast hasn’t slowed her down any! 

ella pink bracelet

Ella’s “beautiful, special pink bracelet”

3 comments:

Crystal Johnson said...

Bless her little heart!

When I saw the news on Cory's FB status, I worried more for you, Ella's mommy. I think things like this are always harder on us!

I have to admit though, I laughed when I oped your page and saw that pitifully-sweet picture of Elly.

The Presnell's said...

Oh my, her face is too cute!! But oh so sad for Ella. :) What a big girl though. :)

Mandy said...

I have to admit that I laughed at that picture, too! She is so funny and pitiful at the same time!

Crystal, I honestly think this whole experience has been harder for me and Cory than it has been for Ella. Cory has been giving himself a hard time because he was pushing Ella on the swing. I waited until Cory and Ella went to get the x-rays and then I broke down on the phone with my Mom! It just breaks my heart everytime I look at that cast!!!